Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Almost dilapidated C shaped mud wall building with about 10 square rooms, no standard ceiling, corrugated zinc sheet red and dull with rust, leaking like broken pipe with no drainage, no toilet facilities and no proper campus was staring at me with a surprise and awe. I sat on the wood slab at the edge of the undulating ground, furrowed forehead and deeply travelling back in time wrap. Then I saw myself with blue half pants with white shirt awkwardly tugged, wizzing down the trail through the vertical cliff, with sling bag hanging by my shoulder diagonally with slate and chalk few plums inside it. I would proudly catapult on bata flip-flop making some funny sound. I still freshly remember uprooting doob grass and playing football with it. Then football was luxury for us, lemon, citrus, some junglee fruits, dried radish, stuffed socks wrapped in spider net was the finest ball we would kick, or a ball or resign directly collected through rubber tree sap would function as another alternative. That was then. I saw the plants I planted, may be on social forestry day (don't know...forgotten long way back) have become arm full, thick in girth and tall in height. Time have changed everything. I imagine playing football (KGBSC=Khorshaney, Gopini, Bureechhu, Salami, Chirangdara, Semjong, Lapshibotay and Patalay). This was the time I learnt playing football with rules. We had coaching by our teachers and then made hero. Felt like David Bekhem in its own accord. Lifting Taksary trophy was the equivalent to the World Cup. Then I remember all the mischief we mastered be it looting orange orchard or untying village cattle, fist fighting or bullying. The most famous was making snare out of millet grass and put it at stealth. Anyone who is unseeing would trip over it and roar of laughter would resonate and yet sometime, this would lead into a duel fight. Mr. Dahal, the shopkeeper would tread sweets pallets for 10 paise. I would get my daily school allowance anything ranging from 5 to 25 paise from my granny. That would make my day brighter with sweetmeats, cookies or coconuts. I would pester my mama upon giving me money before I leave in the morning.....the allowance would come easy by blackmailing them; "otherwise I am not going to school". This school gave me millions. It gave me the light of education, gift of friendship, wisdom of value system and on top it gave me almost everything. I felt rain becoming harder, each drops pelting on my head. I realize getting up unwillingly from that slab, pull my strides which after a moment stopped....I look back. It is Salami Primary School, quietly sleeping at the chasm of time....old, un-cared and dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment